With large swathes of Eastern Australia in the midst of one of the most severe droughts in years (indeed Autumn rainfall was the least since 1902). Be mindful that there are a number of assistance measures open to affected clients across a range of Government departments. On the ATO front, they can help by giving affected taxpayers more time to pay, waiving penalties or interest charged at a time a client was affected by drought, offering payment plans with interest free periods, and adjusting PAYG instalments to better suit the circustances. Furthermore, in special circumstances the ATO can release clients from paying some taxes, if the paying of those taxes would cause serious financial hardship.
- https://www.ato.gov.au/ General/Financial-hardship/In-detail/Help-for-drought-af
- Farm Household Allowance: Department of Human Services – 13 23 16
- Social support: Department of Social Services – 1300 653 227
- Farm Management Deposits: Australian Taxation Office – 13 28 66
- Rural Financial Counselling Service – 1800 686 175